Monday 19 December 2011

I'm afraid to wear lipstick


Funny story, I was never a lover of lipstick. I used too think my lips were way too pouty for any shade of lipstick. I also have a very pigmented upper lip which makes most nude shades a no-go. It just does not work for me. The first time I tried red lipstick I was blown away because I never thought it would look good. Needless to say I've been wearing it ever since and have experimented with a few other shades. I've realized that vibrant shades suits me best and compliments my complexion. I tend to go for matte as opposed to shine.

I've heard many women say things like "My lips are way too big for lipstick" or "My lips are too small for lipstick" or "Wow I wish I could wear lipstick the way you do".

To all you ladies who love the look of lipstick on others but are afraid to try it, it doesn't hurt to experiment. Buy a couple from the more affordable brands before you invest in the big guns. Don't be afraid to go bold. A red, plum, some pink...hell why not even orange? I mean, it's only lipstick, it can wipe off right? However, when selecting shades, you should also make sure it's a shade that will suit your complexion. Andddd if in doubt... google!
Trust me, it's a worthwhile investment.


When selecting the right lipstick:
  1. Choose a colour that compliments the natural shade of your lips and skin.
  2. Keep colors lighter for daytime and darker for night. Matte and cream finishes offer a subtler daytime look, while a high-gloss finish adds glamour for evening. (or you can cheat like me and wear bold colours whenever the mood strikes you)
  3. Experiment!!!! Like I said, hit up the drugstore and grab a few.
  4. You can also create your own shade by mixing different shades.
  5. Try a lip liner that is a shade darker than your lipstick and in the same color family.

Other things to consider:
  •  Take into consideration your lifestyle and where you'll be wearing a particular shade of lipstick. Whether to work, school, what have you.
  • Remember to take the size of your lips into account. Light colours tend to make lips appear fuller and dark colours tend to make lips appear smaller.
  • Women of colour can better carry off dark, bright, or dramitic shades that may not not suit fairer skintones.
  • Women with yellow undertones should stick to correspondingly warm tones.
  • Plums, wines and deep reds flatter a dark skin tone, while light-brown beiges with pink or orange undertones compliment a lighter skin tone. Olive skin looks good with brownish reds, light browns and raisin shades of lipstick.
  • You might also want to consider the texture. For longer wearing, you might want to choose a matte. Or if you find it too drying, go for a creamy texture. If you don't mind re-applying then go for a sheer or glossy finish.

Happy lipstick shopping!


Current fave lipstick: Mac Rebel





1 comment:

Tsahai said...

Great post. I was never into lipstick as well because I would always question what other people thought. Now I could care less, I just believe in picking what works and looks good on me. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...