Saturday 9 June 2012

West Indian Cooking: Ochro Rice (Okra) With Stewed Chicken

If you know anything about me other than my love for makeup, it would be of my love for food and by extension cooking lol.

This is my first of a new series of entries on my love for cooking and different types of food in general.

I start of with a popular West Indian dish which was also my first attempt at cooking Ochro Rice.

So let's get this show on the road.

Here's what you'll need:
• Ochro (okra) - 4
• Brown Rice - 2 cups
• Onion - 1/2
• Garlic - 3 cloves
• Carrot - 1/3 (if desired)
• Celery
• Pumpkin
• Pimento pepper - 2
• Hot pepper - 1/2 (if desired)
• Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
• Salt - 2 tbsp
• Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
• Water
• Dhal (split peas) If desired
• Cooking margarine - 1 tbsp

Instructions:
• Boil the dhal till tender (split peas) and set aside.
• Chop the ochro along with the other vegetables.
• Sauté the veggies in cooking oil and stir.
• Add salt
• Add the boiled dhal (split peas) to the sautéed veggies.
• Add the brown rice and stir.
• Add the coconut milk and and water and bring to boil.
• Stir mixture occasionally to ensure it does not stick to the pot.
• Add margarine.
• Cook rice till tender but not too soft.

Serves 6.

Let me know in the comments if you want the recipe for stewed chicken.

Happy cooking and as always,
Stay Glam






















 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it !

Bellezza Bee said...

Oh it looks so yummy! This is one of my mom's favourite foods!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...