This is my first of a new series of entries on my love for cooking and different types of food in general.
I start of with a popular West Indian dish which was also my first attempt at cooking Ochro Rice.
So let's get this show on the road.
Here's what you'll need:
• Ochro (okra) - 4
• Brown Rice - 2 cups
• Onion - 1/2
• Garlic - 3 cloves
• Carrot - 1/3 (if desired)
• Pimento pepper - 2
• Hot pepper - 1/2 (if desired)
• Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
• Salt - 2 tbsp
• Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
• Dhal (split peas) If desired
• Cooking margarine - 1 tbsp
• Boil the dhal till tender (split peas) and set aside.
• Chop the ochro along with the other vegetables.
• Sauté the veggies in cooking oil and stir.
• Add salt
• Add the boiled dhal (split peas) to the sautéed veggies.
• Add the brown rice and stir.
• Add the coconut milk and and water and bring to boil.
• Stir mixture occasionally to ensure it does not stick to the pot.
• Add margarine.
• Cook rice till tender but not too soft.
Let me know in the comments if you want the recipe for stewed chicken.
Happy cooking and as always,